Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Homemade Oven Fries

Have I mentioned how much I love potatoes? Of course I haven't; this is only my second post.

But I do. Oh, how I love their pulpy, starchy goodness. I could eat them every day in any way (except potato salad. blech.)

So today I am posting one of my easiest, fastest, and simplest ways to make potatoes: oven fries!

I got this idea some time ago from a coupon insert (coupons are good for more than just saving money!) and it has become one of my favorite go-to side dishes (or main dishes, if I'm only cooking for myself) because of its simplicity and deliciousness.

Oven Fries
2 medium potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon grill seasoning (i.e. Mrs. Dash's, McCormick's, etc.)
Other seasoning of your choice

First, preheat your oven to 425*.

Now, you obviously need some potatoes. I usually use about 2 medium, but you can make however much you want and just adjust seasoning accordingly.

Now, you might think all potatoes are the same. But you are wrong. Potatoes from the farmer's market are so much more delicious. I can't name the specific quality that makes this so, so don't ask. Just trust me on this one. Go to the farmer's market for your potatoes.

Moving on. The potatoes I got from the farmer's market were pretty small, so I used about five very small (instead of two medium):

Before you cut them, mix up your spices. The important thing to keep in mind (in case you want to make more or less) is just to keep a proportionate amount of olive oil and grill seasoning.

So grab your grill seasoning. Our favorite is McCormick's Garlic and Onion, but I ran out of it awhile ago. I still have some others around the house, so I haven't bothered to purchase any more. So, for today, I am using this giant thing of McCormick's Garlic and Herb that I got for $1.99 from Ollie's (insert angel songs from heaven):

Add a tablespoon of it to a mixing bowl. Then add a tablespoon of olive oil:

Then, I usually like to just add a few more seasonings. Mostly this is for my own enjoyment. I usually add some pepper, paprika, garlic, and maybe some seasoning salt. You can skip this step if you want. But you need to add the paprika. Paprika is like heaven on earth:

Then, stir the olive oil and the seasonings together. It should look something like this:

You want it to be a little smoother than that. Mine was still a little clumpy, so I just added a bit more oil. This is better:

Then, cut your potatoes into wedges like so:

Add them to the bowl and mix it around so that are the potatoes are coated with the oil mixture:

Finally, lay them on a single layer on a baking sheet (or pizza stone, if you are lazy. like me):

Put them in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take them out and flip them so they cook more evenly. Cook for about 10 more minutes or until they are soft on the inside.

When they are done, they will be a little crispy and a lot delicious.



Now, dig in!

These are also especially tasty if you add some cheese during the last few minutes of baking. Yum. I didn't do that this time.

Enjoy your meal.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment