Search This Blog

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pizza Stuffed Banana Peppers

The other day, I was feeling a little crazy and decided to add some banana peppers to my veggie sub at Sheetz. (If you don't know what Sheetz is, Google it right now. It's amazing.)

A few days later, I decided to add them to my pizza from Pizza Hut. (Pizza Hut is not that amazing in case you were wondering).

It was love at second taste.

I decided from there on out, I need banana peppers in my life.

So this past Thursday (or Friday, I don't remember), I was craving some more banana peppers and wishing for summer weather back so I could buy some really tasty ones. I was dreaming of the stuffed green bell peppers my mom used to make, and wondering if her filling would be good in banana peppers too. Then I took it a step further, and though how good banana peppers might be stuffed with pizza ingredients. It was a long day dream. About food. Sometimes that's all that keeps me going.

So I went to the farmer's market this morning, expecting not to find anything as it's been getting pretty chilly lately, and what did I find? The last of Mr. Runion's banana peppers (Mr. Runion is a seller at the farmer's market in case you were wondering). I think God knew I couldn't wait almost a year for delicious peppers.

So, this afternoon I set off to make stuffed banana peppers, pizza style. And can I just say everyone needs to do this. These were delicious.

As always, ingredient amounts are approximate. Feel free to use more or less depending on taste.

Stuffed Banana Peppers:
6 small banana peppers (mine were sweet)
3/4 cup marinara sauce
2-3 tablespoons chopped pepperoni
2-3 tablespoons mozzarella cheese
2-3 tablespoons black olives, chopped
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Shredded mozzarella for topping

First wash your banana peppers. Mine are kind of small, but it's the end of the season. What can I say?

Cut the tops off the peppers, remove seeds if desired, and cut peppers in half. Set aside for later:

Add your sauce to a small skillet. You want to get it warm so you don't have to cook the peppers for too long (mushy peppers = blah). Add the mozzarella, pepperoni, black olives, and red pepper flakes. The pepperoni in these was delicious. You might want to use extra pepperoni.

My sauce was some spaghetti-like sauce that I made earlier this summer and froze. It had some sausage in it and was already well seasoned. If you use a jarred sauce, you might want to add some onions, garlic, etc. for some extra flavor.

After the sauce is warm, add it to the peppers, top with a bit more shredded cheese, and bake in a 350 degree oven. I baked mine for about 8 mins, but you can do more or less depending on how crunchy you like your peppers.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment