Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2012

Mini Breakfast Casseroles

One thing in my life that I am missing is a healthy, filling, quick breakfast to go. I have been thinking about how to remedy this for awhile.

And I (still) have some ham leftover from Christmas.

So I decided to make some mini breakfast casseroles adapted from this recipe.

Mini Breakfast Casserole
1 bag shredded hash browns
1/2 c shredded cheddar, plus additional for topping
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 of a green bell pepper
1/4 of a red bell pepper
2 large eggs
1 tbsp milk
3/4 c cooked ham (shredded or diced)
Dried parsley

Preheat your oven to 425* (I did 400, but I think 425 would work better).

Mix olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and 1/2 c. cheese with the hash browns. I mixed mine all in the bag because I am lazy:


Spoon the mixture into a muffin tin (for 12 muffins). Try to make a little hole/well in the middle of each tin. That's kind of hard to see in this picture: 


Bake for about 15 mins or until the edges are starting to crisp.

While the hash browns are baking, prepare the eggs and vegetables. I used only 2 eggs because I'm not terribly fond of them:


Add about a tablespoon or so of milk and mix it together with the eggs. Chop up your peppers then add them to the egg mixture:


I really wanted to add some spinach to these too, but I couldn't find any at the grocery store except the bagged kind. I don't know what's up with that.

Anyway, here are my hash brown crusts after they have baked. I think mine should have baked for a little longer:


After you take the hash browns out of the oven, turn the oven down to 350*. Then spoon a little of the egg/pepper mixture into each hole. Top with the ham, cheese, and dried parsley if desired:


Pop those suckers back in the oven for about 15 more minutes.

Pull them out and enjoy (or freeze for later)!



These were pretty yummy. I added some ketchup to mine. It was disgustingly delicious. Mmmmm.

I don't have any pictures after I took them out of the muffin pans because they partially fell apart. It's because I didn't bake the hash browns by themselves for long enough (and I personally think I should have had the oven a bit hotter).

The purpose of making them in the muffin tins was to have individual servings. However, I think this would have been just as easy to make in a square casserole and then cut/freeze into individual servings. The pan certainly would have been easier to clean.

If you need an easy breakfast recipe to go, give this recipe a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment